Yamagata Creative City Promotion Council
The Yamagata Creative City Promotion Council was established to advance city planning by utilizing Yamagata’ s film legacy, art and cultural assets in order to enhance its industry, tourism, and education. Moreover, it will further develop the Yamagata Creative City by expanding interaction and collaboration with other Creative Cities in Japan and overseas.
（２）Date of Establishment
30 April 2015
- Inauguration and 1st meeting: 30 April 2015
- 2nd meeting: 9 July 2015
- 3rd meeting: 11 March 2016
- 4th meeting: 26 April 2017
- 5th meeting: 26 April 2018
- Lecture by Sasaki Masayuki (Professor, Doshisha University)
- Lecture by Mauro Felicori (General Director of Reggia di Caserta and former Senior Official of Bologna, UNESCO City of Music)
Management of Special Committees
- Special Committee for Film related Projects
- Special Committee for Membership in the UNESCO Creative Cities Network
- 1st meeting: 14 February 2017
- 2nd meeting: 1 March 2017
- 3rd meeting: 13 March 2017
- 4th meeting: 21 March 2017
- 5th meeting: 29 March 2017
- 6th meeting: 12 April 2017
- 7th meeting: 18 April 2017
- 8th meeting: 29 June 2017
Members of Council
- Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival (NPO)
- Yamagata Film Commission
- Movie On Company
- The Yamagata Newspaper Co.
- Yamagata Broadcasting Co., Ltd.
- Yamagata Television System, Inc.
- TV-U Yamagata.Incorporated
- Sakuranbo Television Broadcasting Corporation
- NHK Yamagata
- DiversityMedia Co., Ltd.
- Tohoku University of Art and Design
- Yamagata University
- Yamagata City Agency for Cultural Promotion
- Yamagata City Association for Arts and Culture
- Yamagata Symphony Orchestra
- Cybele Arena & Chihitsu-Do Bunko
- The Yamagata Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Junior Chamber International Yamagata
- Yamagata City Tourism Association
- Yamagata Museum of Art
- Yamagata City
Creative City International Exchange Program “Creative Travel to Japan”
Yamagata City, aspiring to join the UNESCO Creative City Network, and other Japanese cities already members of the network, participated in October 2016 to the creative city international event “Creative Travel to Japan” organized by the UNESCO Paris Headquarters in order to promote the cities’ cultural resources, industries and charms, all while deepening the understanding of Japan’ s creative culture and aiming to further stimulate international exchanges. The UNESCO Director-General Bokova was present during the event’ s grand opening ceremony on October 17th. A symposium was held on the 18th and a booth display was opened to the public until the 21st. Yamagata City displayed its efforts to be a Creative City of Film, while the mayor did a presentation promoting Yamagata’ s addition to the Network and exchanged information with other relevant parties.